Pages

Monday, September 1, 2014

Storyline Festival


As we (yr 7, 8 and some yr 6’s) arrived at the Vodafone Center in Manakau, we hopped off the bus and saw a lot of schools. We walked in and saw a whole heap of eyes staring at us, then a lady came to our teacher Mrs Tele’a and was telling her all the informations and instructions of what’s going to happen. When the time came for us to go inside, we walked and sat down.

In the Storyline Festival there were 4 authors. There was: Julliet Mclver, Catherine Mayo, Jill McGregor and Paula Green. They were all fun to watch but my favourite two was Julliet Mclver and Jill McGregor. I liked them the most because of their books.

Julliet Mclver loves to write, especially when it comes to rhyming. The book that I really wanted to read was ‘Toucan can’. When she told us a line from the book. That made we want to read it, because it sounded fun and cool. But then I realised that the books she writes are books for little children. Julliet reads her book to her kids who are about 2 or 3 years old. She was really funny while she was presenting, she kept on laughing. Thats why Julliet Mclver was one of my favourite authors because she wasn’t boring she was fun and active and especially because of her rhyming books.

Jill Mcgregor is one of my top two authors that presented at ‘Storyline Festival’ because her books are all about Pacific Island. I’m an Islander, my culture is Samoan. But my nana told me I had Tongan blood. So I just call myself both. Jill McGregor went to a lot of Islands such as, Samoa, Tonga, Kiribati, Fiji, Niue and the Cook Islands. She has been to a lot of places in Samoa more than me. Her stories about the Islands were so interesting and cool. I just loved it and I was so comfortable watching her talking about where we come from.

I would inspire kids to write by telling them to read books. By reading books you can find new words and your writing can get a lot better. You can also write more to improve, and you’ll be a very smart writer. So kids start reading books to show everyone you have what it takes to become a author.

The Storyline Festival was awesome. It was fun and really inspiring. I just want thank all the authors for taking your time off, and coming to talk in front of a lot of schools about your books. They were all amazing! A lot of people from our school enjoyed your presentation. Good luck on your career. Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Jordenne!
    This presentation sounds like it was a lot of fun! I have always wanted to meet a famous author. Authors of children's books are especially interesting to me. I myself hope to be a successful writer one day. You are right about how books inspire children and that they are very beneficial for learning. The more you read the smarter you will be and the better your writing will become. Do you like to write too? What is your favorite book? I'm glad you had so much fun at this presentation of authors. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete